Saturday, January 3, 2009

"There's daggers in men's smiles"

Macbeth’s statement, “There’s daggers in men’s smiles,” is as true in today’s society than it ever was before.  Last year I was very conscious of my 4.0 GPA and desperately wanted to keep it.  First semester went good, all of my teachers were great and I got all A’s.  But second semester wasn’t as great.  I got all A’s with exception of one class, Algebra 2.  I had Mr. Martin for a teacher first semester and second semester.  Except second semester he had a student teacher.  The student teacher was a terrible at anything she taught and had to have the help of Mr. Martin much of the time.  I spent many class periods watching her fumble around with her words, become silent and very embarrassed not knowing how to do certain problems.  As for homework, she gave a lot of it and when it came time for her to help us with it or correct it she did it wrong.  For some reason sophomore year, Algebra 2 was just not one of my strong points that year.  I spent much time that second semester working on math problem after math problem trying to teach myself because I wasn’t getting taught in class.  Many of my friends questioned why I was trying so hard to learn in class.  The bad thing about this whole ordeal was the student teacher wasn’t too fond of me.  She thought I talked back too much and needed to be put in my place.  I talked to Mr. Martin about getting some help from him and he gladly took the time to sit down and sort out any problem I seemed to be having with my homework.  After he helped me I had a better understanding of the material and was able to do better on my homework.  Throughout most of the semester my grade switched back between and A- and an A.  Over the course of the semester I didn’t pay too much attention too it.  When it came down to the week before finals I saw that I had a low A-.  I then proceeded to talk to the student teacher to get the class or just me an extra credit worksheet.  With a smile on her face she said, “Sure, I’ll look for some.”  Satisfied I waited the entire week and she never gave the class or myself any worksheet.  I asked her countless times for some over that week and never received any.  It came to the day before finals and still I had no extra credit and would have to get almost a perfect score on my final to keep my 4.0.  I went up to the student teacher and asked her again why she didn’t give me an extra credit sheet to work on.  She replied with a grin on her face, “You wouldn’t have done any of it.  It was too cheesy.  I’m sure you’ll do fine on the final.”  I wasn’t too happy about that and I ended up getting a high A-.  While I was mad at the time now I don’t care at all.  But truly sometimes, “there’s daggers in men’s smiles.”

5 comments:

  1. Ouch! Did you feel the pressure of a 4.0 lifted from you shoulders? Some of my best students are non-4.0 GPA students because they worry less about the "A" and more about the learning. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember that student teacher and your right she wasn't the best teacher but you can't blame her for everything. I think you just cared a little to much about getting a 4.0.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks! Luckily I had Mr. Martin first semester and then Hamdorf second sememster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor, I definately remember that student teacher and how frustrating it was learning from her. Thats such a bummer thats how you lost your 4.0!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete